Entering Your YouTube Videos of Composer Richard J. Chandler’s Music
“This activity is made possible through a grant from the Central Minnesota Arts Board, thanks to funds provided by the McKnight Foundation.”
College Student Eligibility:
Currently enrolled Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Iowa college and university students, regardless of your major, the degree you are seeking or how far along you are in your studies
Videos may be uploaded to YouTube or sent as email attachments from January 10th to June 10th, 2019 up to 11:59 pm.
$500 1st prize – To be written out as one check with the intent that the funds will be divided up and passed on to all of the participating musicians within that group. Work: Sacred Geometry for Chamber Orchestra – 7-minute duration. It was premiered in 2018 by the Minnesota Sinfonia in Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN.
1st prize $150, 2nd $100, 3rd $50. Works: 5 Evening Pieces for Piano and 2-part Invention after JS Bach – 14-minute duration.
Vocal & Piano
1st prize for the duo is $200, per musician is $100, 2nd prize for the duo $100, per musician $50. Work: Sleep Now for Vocalist & Piano – 4-minute duration.
1st prize for the trio is $300, per musician $100. Works: Transmigration Trio and arrangements of O Come, O Come Emmanuel and Once Upon a Dream – 12-minute duration. Your woodwind trio may be the standard one of flute or oboe, clarinet, and bassoon or a combination within the woodwind family such as double reeds, clarinets, flutes or saxophones, using lower to higher instruments to cover the range.
1st prize for the duo $200, per musician $100, 2nd prize for the duo $100, per musician $50. Works: 4 DaVinci Transcending Time Duets – 13-minute duration. They may be performed with woodwind, string or brass family instruments with two of the same instruments for instruments with a larger range. A higher instrument and a lower instrument also works even if the two instruments are not from the same instrumental family.
Saxophone Quartet + Narrator
1st prize of $500, $100 per musician including the narrator. Sax Transcends for Saxophone Quartet & Narrator (as Adolph Sax telling the story of his life) – 14-minute duration. Standard soprano, alto, tenor and low-A baritone saxophone quartet instrumentation.
YouTube videos will be judged by Edward Turley, DMA, pianist, and chair of the College of St. Benedict and St. Johns University Music department, Terry Vermillion, D.A., percussionist and former chair of the St. Cloud State University Music department, and the composer.
- Videos will be judged primarily on musicality that demonstrates
insightful engagement with the composer’s music
- The decision of 2 out of the 3 judges will determine outcomes
- Judging will be completed by June 17th, 2019
Obtaining Your Sheet Music:
Richard Chandler will supply you with a personally labeled copy of the music that you wish to perform at no cost to you as a pdf file. The file may not be shared or uploaded. If anyone else is interested in a copy of the music, it is available for sale through the composer. Richard Chandler will grant competition participants permission to perform his music, without having to purchase a copy, beyond the competition timeframe, if notified of the performance. (Notification helps the composer to obtain performance royalties and is greatly appreciated.)
Richard Chandler will be available to answer questions about this competition, about the performance of his music and to arrange the duets and trios for various instruments. He may be contacted by email, text or by calling throughout the competition. Email: email@example.com Text or call: (320)282-8029
- Both live-performance or non-performance videos are eligible
- Please upload your video to your own YouTube channel. Please send an email to richardjchandler@com with a link to your video. On your email, please include proof that you are currently enrolled in MN, ND, SD, IA or WI colleges or universities. Proof may include attaching a copy of your current classes, a pic or your ID or another current official school document.
- If you don’t have a YouTube channel, please send an AVI or MP-4 video file as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. for upload on the RichardJChandler YouTube channel.
- The information needed on your video description: The name of the work, the composer’s name, a link to RichardJChandler.com, the full names of all performers and their instruments, the date of the performance or recording, the location of where performed or recorded including the name of the hall or performance space, the school or other location of the performance and the city and state.
Additional Competition Rules & Information:
- Your email address remains confidential and will not be shared or used for purposes outside the scope of communication concerning your performance and your video of Chandler’s music
- Please send an email requesting the music you, (or your students if you are a faculty teacher), plan to learn, perhaps perform and record
- Please include your full name and the instruments that you plan to use. The composer will prepare and send you a pdf file of the music for your personal use and may not be shared
- For the duets and the woodwind trio, music may be arranged for your preferred instrumentation. This will take one week or longer based on demand for arrangements, so early notice may be helpful for you and your fellow musicians.
- All entrants and 5-state music faculty and staff who have corresponded with Richard Chandler will be notified by email of the results